Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Housewife Wannabe Cooks: Mystery Rolls (Balls)

I have died and gone to heaven. A buttery death that has landed me in blue cheese heaven. And I don't regret it a bit.

I found this recipe on one of my new favorite websites, The Pioneer Woman, and immediately knew they were for me. Biscuits? Love them. Butter? LOVE it. Blue cheese? OMG IS THAT EVEN A QUESTION? I made these this past Sunday and subsequently was required to freeze about half of them before I ate the whole pan. I was starving when I made them, so didn't bother taking pictures, but severely regretted this decision as this is definitely a recipe to be shared. But thankfully, my lovely sister had a work potluck this week and it gave me the perfect opportunity to capture these Mystery Rolls (Maggie and I have renamed them Mystery Balls - we believe it adds to the mystery).

I think another thing I like about them is their potential versatility. While I haven't done it, I would imagine you could replace the blue cheese with another aged cheese to match your meal. Italian? Try some Parmesan. Greek? Feta, clearly. Mexican? Cojita. Chinese? Um... do the Chinese eat cheese?

Anyhow, here's the recipe.

What you need:


1 can flaky biscuits (pretend there's only one in the picture above)
Approximately 4 oz. blue cheese
1 stick butter


Maggie accidentally bought regular Buttermilk and while they were good, based on my experience with the first round, I would highly recommend the flaky kind. Much more absorbent. For the butter. And the cheese. But primarily for the butter.



Although, this can does a better job of resembling what your stomach will look like if you eat the whole pan.

Also, we used pre-crumbled blue cheese in this round whereas I used the chuck and crumbled it myself for the first go-round. Not sure if it had to do with the biscuits, but I think I preferred the chunk. Much more robust.


1. Place the butter in a baking pan.




2. Crumble the blue cheese and sprinkle over the butter.


3. Melt in the oven. I didn't time it, just checked on it occasionally.



4. While butter and blue cheese are melting, cut the biscuits into fourths.



Maggie really wanted them to be balls.



5. After removing the butter/cheese mixture from the oven, stir to mix thoroughly.



6. Roll the biscuits in the butter/cheese.




7. Bake in the same pan you melted the butter and cheese. I did this the first time, but when Maggie and I made them together, we were making so many that we had to distribute some to cookie sheets. Believe me. Much better when baked in the butter. This may seem like a gluttonous, heart clogging step. And it is. But it makes them much better. Your arteries will hate me, but your mouth will love me.


OMG - would you look at the golden buttery cheesiness?

NOW - EAT!

Hey, but really... do the Chinese eat cheese?

No comments:

Post a Comment