Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Housewife Wannabe Cooks: Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes

I noticed today that I had a bag of potatoes that were about to start rotting tomorrow. Since I knew Matt and I wouldn't be able to eat five baked potatoes each today, I thought I would make my first ever attempt at mashed potates. Plus, we made it through a weekend without any newlyweds-adjusting-to-living-together arguments, so... CELEBRATION! Not once did we want to strangle each other!

So I began the internet search. I didn't want anything too complicated and I didn't want to buy stuff that I would not have another need for for another 8 months. I finally settled on this one from allrecipes.com since I love the flavor of garlic. It turned out really well and was suprisingly easy. No need to be a seasoned housewife. Which is good. Since I'm not.

Ingredients:
2 lbs. potatoes
1/2 c. milk
4 T. butter
salt and pepper to taste (I used sea salt and seasoned pepper)
1 medium head garlic
1 T. olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Drizzle olive oil over garlic and wrap in aluminum foil. Bake for one hour.

3. Boil a large pot of salted water. While water is heating, peel and dice potatoes into quarters.



4. Add potatoes to boiling water and boil until tender, approximately 15 minutes.

5. Squeeze softened garlic cloves after cooled.



6. Mix cloves with milk, butter, salt and pepper.


7. Drain potatoes. Add potatoes to mixture of other ingredients and mix with an electric mixer. Don't overbeat, because the chunks are the best part!


ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment