Monday, February 23, 2009

The Housewife Wannabe Cooks: Oh Me Oh My DIET Chicken Tenders with Tomato Jam

Ok, so I realize yesterday I said I would post four recipes this week. I also realize that these four recipes are part of what's contributing my feelings of large-ness lately and I have decided that I'm going to attempt some Weight Watchers on my own. It's how I lost 10 pounds before my wedding, so I know it will work, but it's just about committment. And I'm serious this time. Sorta.

All of this to say, this is not one of the recipes I mentioned yesterday. But it was so good, I couldn't resist!

Anyhow, based on this new dieting and thanks to the bi-monthly Weight Watchers magazine (March/April 2009 issue) to which I subscribe, I found this AWESOME diet chicken fingers recipe. With tomato dipping jam to boot! And, despite the comedy of errors I had in making this, it turned out really good. Now don't get me wrong. This is not your grandmother's homemade deep fried chicken. But it's pretty damn good. Especially when dieting.

Let's begin!

First, we're gonna make the tomato jam. Now let it be said, I will probably not make this part again. Good? Yeah. Would some marinara sauce from a can work equally well? Absolutely. Especially when you're a corporate monkey and don't get home until 7:30. BUT! Now I know better.

What you need:
2 t. olive oil
1 large shallot, finely chopped
2 t. grated peeled fresh ginger
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 t. sugar
pinch cayenne


1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Please ignore the strawberry puree, rum, and lime juice in the background. My sister's boyfriend is really into daiquiris lately.

mmm - oily!

2. Add the shallot and ginger and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until tender. Now. Let it be known that I hate onion. Love the flavor, hate the texture. Also. A shallot is pretty much the same thing as an onion. So I threw that bitch into the food processor first.

Die Evil Onion-like Creature!



Aaahhh - much better!

3. Add the can of drained tomatoes.


4. Add a teaspoon of sugar.


Enter error #1 - I added a pinch. I promptly corrected the error. Again, please ignore the daiquiri fixings.

5. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper (See how I got confused above? It could have happened to anyone!). Ahh, but wait. Enter error #2. I didn't have any cayenne pepper. So I used a dash of dried red pepper flakes and a dash of chipotle chili pepper. I could add a picture, but it's not a whole lot different than the one above.

6. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes to evaporate the liquid. Please imagine what it looks like. I forgot to take a picture.

NOW. I also don't really like tomatoes too much. Flavor? Yes. Texture? No. Thank. You. I eat marinara, pizza sauce, ketchup, etc. But actual tomato chunks? Forget it. So I pureed. Just a personal preference.

Onto the delightful chicken tenders.

What you need:

2 slices whole wheat bread, torn up
1/2 c. Greek-style fat-free yogurt
1 lb. chicken tenders
1 t. dried thyme
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. coarse ground black pepper


1. Crumble the whole wheat bread in a food processor. I left the bread out on the counter while I was at work to make it a little stale. The middle was still a little soft, and had trouble crumbling in the food processor, so next time I will tear the slices in half.







Ta-Da!

2. Transfer the crumbs to a skillet over high heat.

Whoops, that's not a skillet (Error #3!)


Here we go.

3. Toast bread crumbs over the heat, stirring constantly, for approximately 4 minutes.


4. Sprinkle the thyme, salt, and pepper over the chicken. I ended up using garlic salt and seasoned pepper for some more flavor. I also likely used more than 1 t. of thyme seeing as how I just estimated, but HEY! It's diet - we need more flavor since we're cutting back on the grease.


5. Put the yogurt in a bowl.


6. Stir the chicken in and coat well.


7. Transfer the bread crumbs to a shallow bowl and toss in chicken to coat.

I love how they got lonely and cuddled up to one side together!


8. Place the tenders on a a baking sheet and bake at 500 degrees for approximately 10 miuntes, or until cooked through.

O

M

G

(I think you know what to do with the daiquiri fixings)

9, Try not to eat these all in one sitting. Remember - you're on a diet! HA!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment